Many Kidney Patients or their carers face financial difficulties – this is not unusual or surprising.  Before seeking a grant, or other help from a charity, check to see whether you have yet claimed all the benefits available from the State.  Check what benefits you may be able to get.  Below are brief guidelines on some of the benefits to look for.  You will need individual advice from qualified Advisors to be sure that you are claiming correctly as when claiming for some benefits you may lose others.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

This is payable to someone who is incapable of work because of sickness or disability.  It is only paid to someone who is employed and who earns more than the National Insurance lower earnings limit.  When Statutory Sick Pay runs out or you stop being employed, you may be able to claim other benefits

Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)

(For further information about your assessment see back page of this pack)

ESA is a benefit paid to people whose ability to work is limited by ill health or disability.  You can apply if you are employed, self-employed or unemployed. 

Eligibility for Employment & Support Allowance (ESA) Work Capability Assessment

  • A limited capability for work - which is determined by three assessments
  • To be at least 16 years
  • Have not yet reached state pension age
  • You are in Great Britain or Northern Ireland
  • Not receiving income support
  • Not receiving Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay. 

ESA claimants are divided into two separate groups, the "support group" and the "work related activity group".  The group you are placed in will determine the amount of ESA you receive and the responsibilities you will need to meet in order to keep receiving the benefit.

The support group :   If you have a limited capability for work related activity under the WCA 

The work-related activity group:  If you do not have a limited capability for work-related activity under the WCA

Time period


  Weekly amount

First 13 weeks

            Under 25


First 13 weeks

            25 or over


From 14 weeks

            Work Related Activity Group

  Up to £74.70

From 14 weeks

            Support Group

            Enhanced disability premium

            Severe disability premium

  Up to £117.60



The Government has appointed ATOS Healthcare, a healthcare company to undertake medical assessments.  There are a number of medical conditions for which medical assessment is not required and in some cases the medical advisor has to ask the patient’s GP or Consultants for information.

Work Capability Assessment  (WCA)

When you claim ESA you enter a 13 week "assessment phase" (with the exception of those who are terminally ill).  During this period you will undergo a "work capability assessment".  

This consists of two phases:

During the assessment phase benefit is paid for the first 13 weeks whilst a decision is made on your work capability 

The second part looks at whether you have a "limited capability for work-related activity".  This will determine whether you are placed in the support group or the work-related activity group of claimants. It also determines the amount of ESA you receive and the responsibilities you must meet to retain the benefit.  

The Limited Work capability assessment determines whether you are a person who remains entitled to ESA after the assessment or can claim another benefit.  The Limited Work capability assessment determines whether you can get the support component or the work related activity component of ESA 

A Work focused health related assessment helps to identify the type of work people who receive the work related activity component could do despite their medical condition and seeks to improve their capacity for working. 

The Limited capability for work assessment measures a person’s ability to perform certain activities relating to physical function and to mental, cognitive and intellectual function.  You will need to score 15 points in total.  

The Limited Capability for work relating activity assessment is the second assessment with the WCA.  It will decide the rate of ESA that will be paid after the first 13 weeks . If a patient satisfies the limited capability for work related activity assessment, they will receive the support component of ESA after 13 weeks and will not have to undertake work related activity or have work focused interviews, otherwise you will have to undertake work related activities and work focused interviews. 

To apply contact Jobcentre Plus

Universal Credit

The phased introduction of Universal Credit has been pushed back and the Government now expect that Universal Credit will be available for all new claimants from July 2019.  It is expected that all existing benefit claimants will be transferred to Universal Credit by March 2022. 

Universal Credit  replaces the benefits below :

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit.

Contact the Universal Credit helpline If you need help with your claim, call the Universal Credit helpline on: 0800 328 9344

Lines are open between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday (closed on bank and public holidays). Calls are free if you have free or inclusive minutes as part of your phone contract.  If you don’t, ask the adviser to call you back, as the call might cost you up to 45p per minute if you’re calling from a mobile.  If you’re making your claim by phone, it’s particularly important to do this as it can take up to 40 minutes.

Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit for sick and disabled people

Universal Credit is gradually replacing Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) as the main benefit to claim if you can’t work because of sickness or disability. This page tells you more about how Universal Credit works and how current sickness and disability benefits like ESA, Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will be affected by Universal Credit.

Can I claim Universal Credit if I’m sick or disabled

At the moment, Universal Credit mostly affects people who are single, newly unemployed and looking for work in England, Scotland and Wales.

However, some areas offer a full service, which means they can handle most claimants. If you live in a ‘full service’ area you may have to make a claim for Universal Credit rather than ESA if you can’t work because of sickness or disability.

 If your Jobcentre offers a full service, you will be expected to make and manage your claim mostly online.

Find out if you can claim Universal Credit on

Living in Northern Ireland or Scotland?

In Northern Ireland, Universal Credit will become available only to single jobseekers from September 2017. If you’re sick or disabled, it’s likely you will be asked to claim other benefits instead.

In Scotland, you might be offered some choices about how your Universal Credit is paid. Read the guide to Universal Credit in Scotland at 

Can I claim Universal Credit if I’m working?

You can claim Universal Credit if you’re working, and if you’re assessed as having limited capability for work, you can earn a certain amount before your Universal Credit payments are affected. This is known as the work allowance.

If you earn more than the work allowance, your Universal Credit payments will gradually reduce as your pay increases. 

How does Universal Credit affect PIP and DLA?

If you’re an adult and getting either Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA), it will continue to be paid along with your Universal Credit payment.

You get these benefits if your condition is severe enough for you to qualify for them. They won’t affect the amount you get in Universal Credit.

Moving from Employment and Support Allowance to Universal Credit

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance is one of the benefits that Universal Credit is replacing. If you are already claiming ESA, you don’t do need to do anything. DWP will contact you when it’s time to move on to Universal Credit.

Will I get less money if I move from ESA to Universal Credit?

The rates paid for the limited capability for work elements are lower than the current ESA rates.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has said that as long as your circumstances stay the same, you won’t lose any money when you move onto Universal Credit.

You will either get the same amount of benefit as you do now or you might get more. This is called transitional protection.

However, if you have a change of circumstances, your claim for Universal Credit will be reassessed and the amount you get might drop.

Universal Credit and ‘new style’ Employment and Support Allowance

Depending on your circumstances, if you’re eligible for Universal Credit, you may be able to claim new-style Employment and Support Allowance on top of (or instead of) your Universal Credit payment. This will depend on how much you earn and whether you have made enough National Insurance contributions.

If you are eligible to claim new-style ESA and qualify for help with other costs, like paying your rent or looking after children, you will have to make an additional claim for Universal Credit.

If you aren’t eligible to claim new-style ESA but can claim Universal Credit, you can make a claim for the ‘limited capability for work’ element of Universal Credit. 

If you can’t claim Universal Credit

If you don’t live in an area that allows you to claim Universal Credit, you may be invited to make a claim for either contribution-based or income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) instead. 

If you qualify for help with other costs, like paying your rent or looking after children, you will need to make a claim for existing benefits, such as Housing Benefit or Child Tax Credit.

Find out more in our guide 

Am I eligible for new-style ESA?

New-style ESA is a contribution-based benefit. This means you may be able to claim if you have paid enough National Insurance Contributions in the two full tax years before the year you are claiming in.

It is paid regardless of how much you or your spouse or partner have in income or savings.

You will need to have a fit note from your doctor to start your claim. 

Work Capability Assessment

You will usually need to undergo a Work Capability Assessment to find out whether you are eligible for new-style ESA. If you’re applying for Universal Credit and new-style ESA, you will have a single assessment for both benefits.

You won’t have to undergo an assessment for certain medical conditions. For example:

any terminal illness, some pregnancy-related conditions, some cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy or radiotherapy. 

Can I get new-style ESA after one year?

If you’re in the support group, you can continue to get new-style ESA while you remain in this group. You are likely to have another Work Capability Assessment to see if you still qualify.

If you are in the work-related activity group, your new-style ESA payment will stop.

If you’re still eligible for help because of your illness or disability, you may be able to claim the ‘limited capability for work’ element as part of your Universal Credit payment. 

Universal Credit helpline

Telephone: 0800 328 9344
Textphone: 0800 328 1344
Welsh language: 0800 328 1744
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Working Tax Credit.  You may be able to claim Working Tax Credit if you work at least 16 hours a week.  You may qualify for the disability element of Working Tax Credit if you have a disability that makes it difficult to get a job. This may affect other income related benefits you get - for example Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. 

Call the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900 8am-8pm

Child Tax Credit.  This is a payment to support families with children.  It can be claimed by those responsible for at least one child or young person.  The amount of the payment depends on your circumstances and income levels, but could include a baby element, disability element or severe disability element.  You cannot claim Child Tax Credit and Universal Credit.

Tax Credit Calculator Click here

Benefit Cap

The Benefit Cap will cap the amount of benefits you receive :


      Outside London :  £384.62 per week  - for couples with or without children

                                   £384.62 per week -  for single people with children

                                   £257.69 per week  - for single people with no children

      Inside London      £442.31 per week  - for couples with or without children

                                   £442.62 per week -  for single people with children

                                   £296.35 per week  - for single people with no children

Flexible Support Fund

You can get other support when you’re moving from benefits to work to help you prepare for, find and stay in work. For example:

  • training, guidance and work placement programmes
  • work experience, volunteering and job trials
  • help with starting your own business
  • help with child care or caring responsibilities.

Part of the help is offered in the new Flexible Support Fund (FSF). The FSF can be used to support all Jobcentre Plus customers, including 16/17 year olds, who are not participating in existing contracted provision, such as The Work Programme. FSF may also be used for Jobcentre Plus customers who are not claiming benefits.

The FSF was created by pooling a number of different pre-existing Job Centre budgets. The fund can be targeted in many different ways, so it is important to establish how the Fund is utilised at your local Job Centre. Your Personal Adviser should be able to provide this information for you.

The FSF is intended to fill gaps and add support to provisions already in place from partners and other external support groups, so the help you require may not be available from the Job Centre and they merely be able to direct your query elsewhere.

Disability Living Allowance (over 16s) is now called Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you are aged over 16 and under 65 and need help looking after yourself or getting around.

Disability Living Allowance (for under 16s)

If a child under 16 and needs more help or looking after than other children of the same age because of their illness or disability.

Disability Benefits Helpline :   0800 121 4600 – Mon-Fri 8am-6pm

Attendance Allowance

If you are aged over 65 and need help looking after yourself or getting around.  If you have a physical disability (including sensory disability, such as blindness) and your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you for your own, or someone else’s safety.  Savings and other income are not usually affected. You may wish to ask someone from the Citizen’s Advice Bureau or your local Age UK to assist you with the form.

Carers Allowance (CA)

If you are aged 16 or over and spending at least 35 hours a week looking after someone who is getting or waiting to hear about getting Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance. 

Carers Allowance is taxable and may affect your other benefits.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

If you became disabled as a result of an accident at work or a disease known to be a risk of a job you have done, including deafness.

Housing Benefit       

If you are on a low income, whether you are working or not, and paying rent. 

Bedroom Tax (Under Occupancy Charge)

From April 2013 people who rent their homes from a public sector landlord, such as the council or a Housing Association and you are of working age, your housing benefit may be cut if it is considered you have more bedrooms that you actually need.  If your home is considered too big for your needs Housing Benefit will be cut by 14% if you have one spare bedroom, and 25% if you have two or more spare bedrooms. 

Under the Housing Act 1985 Section 326, if a bedroom is 70 sq ft or under then it is classed as a boxroom and bedroom tax should not apply.  (63 sq ft = 9’ x 7’). 

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

You may qualify for a discretionary housing benefit to help with the shortfall in your rent.  Your local council should have further details. 

If you wish to challenge decisions made on your benefit claims you can ask for written statements of the reasons for the decision made.  If you still believe this is incorrect decision you can ask for it to be look at again and/or appeal. Time limits are very strict and you are usually given one month to dispute a decision so it is important to seek advice quickly. 

If you are an older person with concerns about this information your local Age UK may offer you some assistance.

Council Tax Support

Council tax support will not be nationally set and local Councils must devise their own local scheme to help people on low income to pay their Council Tax bill.

England : Each local Council will be responsible for devising their own system of Council tax


Scotland: Responsibility for setting council tax levels rests with local authorities in Scotland.

Wales:  Council Tax Support will apply across every Council in Wales to be set by the Welsh Assembly.

Northern Ireland :  not available in Northern Ireland

Check with your Local Council Tax Office for more information

Help with NHS Health Costs

There can be charges for some treatment from the NHS and a leaflet has been produced by the NHS which outlines information about who does not have to pay charges and also explains the help you might get with costs if you are on a low income.  You may be eligible for help with the following items:

  • NHS prescriptions
  • NHS dental treatment
  • Sight tests
  • Glasses and contact lenses
  • Travel costs for treatment under the care of a consultant

If you would like a copy of the leaflet quote ‘HC11 – Help with health costs’.  You can get a copy from DH Publications Online, contact details:

Telephone:  0300 330 1343  Dept. of Health Publications order line 

If you have access to the internet you can print the leaflet Here

Further information about Help with NHS Health Costs can be found Here

Travel Costs

Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG) are responsible for the local hospital funding policies and will be able to tell you what you may be able to claim for.  

You may be able to claim a refund under the “Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme” (HTCS) of the cost of travelling to hospital or other NHS premises for NHS-funded treatment or diagnostic test arranged by a doctor or dentist. If you are on entitled benefits or allowances you may be able to claim for use of a private car and parking charges (where unavoidable).  The Hospital will tell you the mileage rate.  It is recommended that you check with the Hospital before travelling. 

Blue Badge Scheme gives concessionary parking for people with severe mobility problems.  You qualify automatically for a Blue Badge if you are registered blind or if you qualify for Higher Rate of the DLA mobility component.  You may qualify if you have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have considerable difficulty in walking.  In this case a doctor may be asked to complete a form on your behalf.  To apply for a Blue Badge contact your local Social Services Department.  Your local authority is responsible for deciding whether you are eligible and may ask you to undergo a mobility assessment. 

London Congestion Charge (Congestion Charge).  There is 100% discount for Blue Badge holders.  Registration of your car initially costs £15 and must be registered with the Transport for London (TfL) ten days before travelling. Once you have received a discount approval letter you can drive into the Congestion Charge zone without having to pay the standard daily charge.  NHS patients who are clinically assessed as being too ill to travel to an appointment on public transport may be eligible to claim a reimbursement of the Congestion Charge from their treating hospital.  Be sure to keep your receipt so that you can reclaim. 

Vehicle Excise Duty (car tax) exception  You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the higher or enhanced rate mobility component of a qualifying benefit listed below. How to apply for free tax for the first time Applying for the first free tax is different from renewing it every year. For new vehicles, you should take the Certificate of Entitlement for one of the following to the dealership to claim free tax: • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) • Child Disability Payment (CDP) • Adult Disability Payment (ADP) • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) • War Pensioners Mobility Supplement (WPMS) Vehicles registered with a Northern Ireland address also need an insurance certificate valid on the day the tax starts.

Prescription Charges in the UK

Both HD & CAPD patients can claim for free prescriptions. 

Guidance on exemption from prescription charges is set out in leaflet HC11, Help with Health Costs. The leaflet is also published on the Department of Health website Click here

Any patient who has a permanent fistula which requires a surgical dressing or an appliance would be entitled to medical exemption if they have completed application form FP92A and a doctor has signed the form to confirm the condition (in this context, "permanent" is taken to mean "intended to last indefinitely"). Whether or not a dialysis patient has a permanent fistula which requires a surgical dressing or appliance is a matter for their doctor's clinical judgment. We would expect the criteria to be met where there is a clinical need for a permanent fistula to be covered by a surgical dressing (for example between haemodialysis treatments) or by an appliance (such as a catheter for peritoneal dialysis).

NHS Choices Click here

Enquiry line :  0300 311 2233

Water Charges

The Watersure Scheme is available for certain customers with a water meter. It allows them to have their bills capped. This is to make sure that these customers don’t cut back on how much water they use because they are worried about how they will pay their bill.

To qualify for Watersure you need to:

  • be on a water meter or have applied for one and be waiting for it to be installed, or be paying an assessed charge because it's not possible to fit a meter at your property  
  • be on certain benefits
  • have a high essential use of water.

The Welsh Water HelpU Scheme can help customers of Welsh Water even if they do not have a water meter.

People who have one of the following medical conditions will automatically qualify for Watersure, as long as they meet all the other qualifying conditions: 

  • desquamation (flaky skin disease)
  • weeping skin disease (eczema, psoriasis or varicose ulceration)
  • incontinence
  • abdominal stomas
  • renal failure requiring dialysis at home  - although you won't qualify for Watersure if you're already getting a contribution to your water costs from the NHS
  • Crohn's disease
  • ulcerative colitis.

You can also apply for Watersure if there is someone in your household who has another medical condition which means using higher than average amounts of water. Water companies will ask for details from a doctor.

How do you apply for Watersure?

You can apply for Watersure by filling out a form from your water company. You will need to supply evidence that you qualify, such as a copy of your awards notice for a benefit.

If you are using a dialysis machine at home you need to inform your Water Company so that you can be placed on their high-priority list of customers.

To find your Water Company visit :

Water UK website.  or Telephone :  0207 344 1844

In the event of a power cut you can make a free call to the UK wide helpline on 105


Disabled Facilities Grant

If you are disabled and need to make changes to your home you could get a grant from your local council to help with the costs. 

Changes can include :

  • Widening doors and installing ramps
  • Improving access to rooms and facilities eg by installing a stair-lift or a downstairs bathroom
  • Provide a heating system suitable for your purposes
  • Adapting heating or lighting controls for easier use.
  • For disabled children under 19, the grant is worked out differently. 

You should contact your local Council OR Click here

A Disabled Facilities Grant will not affect any benefits you are already receiving. 

Grants - Local and Charitable

Your Renal Social Worker should be able to provide you with information on grants available in your area. 

Your Local Kidney Patient Association

There are Kidney Patient Associations all around the country who may be in a position to offer help to kidney patients at local level.  To find your local KPA telephone the NKF Helpline on 0800 169 09 36 for further details.

Turn2Us helps people in financial need to gain access to benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.  Includes Grant Search database and Benefits Calculator.

Website :

Contact 0808 802 2000


Pension Credit

There are two types of Pension Credit, Guarantee Credit for those who have reached the minimum qualifying age and Savings Credit for those aged 65 and over.  

Guarantee Credit will guarantee a minimum income of £173.75 a week for single people or ££265.20 a week for couples. 

Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who saved some money towards their retirement, eg. a pension. 

You don’t pay tax on Pension Credit 

For further details contact :  Telephone 0800 99 1234 

Winter Fuel Payments

The qualifying age for both men and women is rising in line with the increase in Women’s state pension age.

To have reached the qualifying age for Winter Fuel Payment for winter

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 July 1951. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.   Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get your money by Christmas.

Usually, you’ll qualify for Winter Fuel Payment  if:

  • you were born on or before 5 July 1952 (winter 2014 to 2015 - this date changes every year)
  • you normally live in the UK throughout the week of 15 to 21 September 2014 

    Further information if you Click here

The deadline for claiming payments for winter 2022 to 2023 is 31 March 2023

For Help with Benefits contact your local branch AGE UK .  You may get the details from your local telephone director or local library or visit


Winter Fuel payment

You could get between £250 and £600 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 26th  September, 1956. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get your money by Christmas.

You should get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Child Benefit)

Other help you could get

Cold Weather Payment - if you get certain benefits and the temperature drops to zero degrees Celsius or below for 7 days in a row.

Help from the Household Support Fund, if you’re eligible under your local council’s rules  - check on your local council’s website 

For more information and support regarding your energy supply, in relation to the National Grid warning of energy outages this winter and advice on joining the Priority Services Register, please visit

The Priority Services Register is a free support service that makes sure extra help is available to people in vulnerable situations.

For more information on what the PRS Register does and how to register please visit:


Patients with renal failure require special precautions during dental treatment. Drugs must be administered with caution and patients undergoing haemodialysis must receive special consideration. Both haemodialysis and transplant patients need to be protected against infection. This is achieved by regular dental treatment.  The use of antibiotics during dental treatment is required in transplant patients and is often necessary in haemodialysis patients to protect them against bacterial infection.

Before dental treatment of patients with renal failure is carried out, the dentist should consult the patient's doctors regarding specific precautions.  

NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS)

If you have a low income, you may be able to get help with NHS costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS).

The scheme covers:

Medical conditions do not exempt patients from payment for dental treatment. 

You may receive :

Partial help
If your name is on a valid HC3 certificate (HC3W in Wales), you may not have to pay for all your treatment. Checks are made on free and reduced cost treatment claims. If you say you have the right to free treatment when you do not, you may incur a penalty charge.  

Full help

Depending on your income you may qualify for full help with a HC2 certificate (HC2W in Wales). Your certificate will show how much you have to pay towards your health costs.

Depending on your circumstances, you can receive "full help" (HC2 certificate) or "partial help" (HC3 certificate).

Certificates are valid for 6 months up to 5 years.

Some benefits already entitle you to full help with health costs.

How to apply

If you need to know more about the low Income Support scheme please call 0300 330 1348 to speak to an adviser.

You will be asked to show your dentist written proof that you do not have to pay for all or part of your NHS treatment. You will also be asked to sign a form to confirm that you do not have to pay.

You can apply for the scheme as long as your savings, investments or property (not counting the place where you live) don’t exceed the capital limit. In England, the limit is: 

£23,250 for people who live permanently in a care home      

£16,000 for everyone else

Useful telephone numbers and websites : 

Visit NHS Choices for more information 

NHS Choices : 

Oral Health Foundation 

British Dental Association : 

NHS Choices :

Telephone 0300 311 22 33  -  for the NHS dental services helpline 

Telephone 0300 330 1343 -  for the Low Income Scheme helpline 

Telephone 0300 330 1341 - for queries about medical exemption certificates. 

Telephone 0300 330 1349 -  for the prescription services helpline 

Telephone 0300 330 1347  - for queries about tax credit certificates 

Oral Health Foundation
Smile House
2 East Union Street
CV22 6AJ
United Kingdom 

Dental Helpline

Is a charity dedicated to improving oral health, not only in the UK but also around the world, we want to make sure that you are provided with the very best information and advice about the health of your mouth. 

Tel: 01788 539 780



If you run your own small business or work for a variety of clients and are able to choose when you work and who for, you are almost certainly self employed.

When it comes to working out which benefits you are eligible for and how much you might get, the same rules apply whether you work for an employer or are self employed.  However, it can be a little trickier working out your hours and earnings if you are self employed.

What benefits can I claim if I can't work because of illness, injury or disability?

If you have been working in self employment and are unable to work because of illness, injury or disability you might be able to get the following benefits to top up or replace your earnings from self employment:

There are other benefits not related to illness, injury or disability which you may then become entitled to for the first time or get an increase in because of your change in income:

  • Housing Benefit if you live in a rented property
  • Support with mortgage interest if you have a mortgage or home loan and are entitled to

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

  • Council Tax Support if you have to pay Council Tax
  • Child Tax Credit if you have children
  • Pension Credit if you are over Pension Credit age

Can I get self employed Sick Pay?

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is paid by an employer when an employee is unable to work due to sickness. If you are self employed you cannot get Statutory Sick Pay as you are working for yourself and therefore do not have an employer.

The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult.

Are You Eligible?

You will qualify if you:

  • receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
  • receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at either:
    • the higher or lower rate for the mobility component, or
    • the higher or middle rate for the care component
  • have a visual impairment
  • have a hearing impairment
  • have epilepsy
  • receive Attendance Allowance or Severe Disablement Allowance
  • receive War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
  • receive War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability
  • buy or lease a vehicle through the Motability scheme

Proof of Eligibility

You would need to provide one of the below as evidence of your eligibility with your application as detailed in the following table:

If you:

You will need to provide:

Receive Disability Living Allowance at either:

  • the higher rate or lower rate for getting around (mobility); or
  • the higher or middle rate for help with personal care

A copy of your award letter showing receipt of Disability Living Allowance in the past 12 months

Receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP) at any rate

A copy of your award letter

Are registered as having a visual impairment

Social Services official stamp in the space allocated on the form if applying online or on a paper application form

A copy of your Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI), BP1 Certificate (Scotland) or BD8 Certificate for being registered blind or partially-sighted

Are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid

Social Services official stamp in the space allocated on the form if applying online or on a paper application form

A copy of the front page of your NHS battery book or a copy of your dispensing prescription from a private hearing aid supplier

Have epilepsy and either:

  • have repeated attacks even though you receive drug treatment; or
  • are currently prohibited from driving because of your epilepsy

A copy of your Exemption Certificate for epilepsy medication and a photocopy of your prescription for drugs in line with the National Society for Epilepsy guidelines

A copy of your Exemption Certification for epilepsy medication and a photocopy of your letter from the DVLA telling you that you are unable to drive

Receive Attendance Allowance

A copy of your award letter

Receive Severe Disablement Allowance

A copy of your award letter

Receive War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement

A copy of your award letter

Receive War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability

A copy of your award letter

Are buying or leasing a vehicle through the Motability scheme

A copy of the leasing or hire-purchase agreement, dated within the past 12 months

Other Railcards

If you do not qualify for a Disabled Persons Railcard, you may qualify for one of our other Railcards:


Energy bills

Contact your energy supplier, as they may be able to offer you a special tariff or payment plan to help you stay on top of your bills 

Energy Saving Trust

Provides free, impartial advice about  making your home more energy efficient.  They can also tell you about grants for implementing energy efficient measures that may be available in your local area 

Call 0300 123 1234 (local call rate)  9am – 8pm (England, Wales and Northern Ireland

Scotland 0808 808 2282 Mon-Fri  8am-8pm, Sat 9am-5pm 

or visit   Email : [email protected]

National Energy Action

This charity campaigns for affordable warmth and better energy efficiency for people who are particularly vulnerable to the cold 

Call 0191 261 5677  or visit

Address:  NEA, West One, Forth Banks, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3PA 

Home Improvement Agencies

Provides advice on repairs and home improvements to older and disabled people

To find your nearest agency call 0300 124 0315 or visit

Citizens Advice Bureau

Your local CAB will be able to give you advice on benefits, heating, grants and debts 

Website :

Find your nearest Citizens Advice

Adviceline 03444 111 444

National Debt Line

For free help if you are having difficulty with debt   

Call us for free debt advice on   0808 808 4000

Online support :

Scope Charity

Disability Information provides information and advice on all aspects of living with disability 

Free call telephone number :  0808 800 3333 

Email :[email protected] ( 9am-5pm weekdays)

or visit

NHS Live Well online services

Job insecurity, redundancy, debt and money problems can all cause feelings of distress which can start to affect your health and wellbeing.   

Visit :  NHS services search - enter postcode for A-Z list of NHS services near you. 

Funeral Payments

You could get a Funeral Payment if you’re on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you’re arranging. How much you get depends on your circumstances and if you qualify.

Call the Bereavement Service helpline :

Bereavement Service helpline
Telephone: 0800 731 0469
Welsh language: 0800 731 0453 Textphone: 0345 606 0285
Welsh language: 0800 731 0464 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Benefit Enquiries

Please contact your nearest Jobcentre Plus for benefit enquiries.

A search for contact details can be done online at Jobcentre Plus

Local Help

There may be a local benefits advice surgery sitting in your local area.  Ask at your local library or community centre.

The National Kidney Federation cannot accept responsibility for information provided. The above is for guidance only