Carers Allowance 

Carers Allowance (CA) is for people who regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a severely disabled person.  You do not have to be related to, or live with, the disabled person.

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

  • you’re 16 or over
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
  • have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years
  • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
  • you’re not in full-time education
  • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
  • you earn no more than £116 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension) - don’t count your pension as income
  • you’re not subject to immigration control.

You might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in another EEA country.  The rules are different in Northern Ireland

Note : Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that both you, and the person you care for, get. 

Effect on the benefits of the person you care for :

When you claim Carer’s Allowance, the person you care for will stop getting: 

  • a severe disability premium paid with their benefits
  • an extra amount for severe disability paid with Pension Credit, if they get one
  • Reduced Council Tax - contact their local Council to find out if this affects them 

Carer’s Premium

If you are in receipt of other state benefits, such as Job Seekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance, you might not be paid Carer’s Allowance. Instead, you may receive a Carer’s Premium which will be added to your existing benefit. If you are already in receipt of JSA or ESA and feel you may qualify for Carer’s Allowance it is worth phoning the CA helpline (number below) to check if you will receive Carer Premium or Carer’s Allowance. 

If you get Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit, you must contact the Tax Credits office to tell them about your Carer’s Allowance claim. 

If you have savings

Carer’s Allowance, unlike many state benefits, is not means-tested. Therefore, regardless of how much money or property you may have, it is still worth phoning the Carer’s Allowance team to check your entitlement. 

Caring for Kidney Patients

For carers of kidney patients the 35 hours includes not only the time helping with dialysis, but all other times when you have to be available to help a patient.  This could be help with getting dressed; getting into and out of bed; being available when the patient is not well enough to be left alone.

You must report any change in your circumstances if you’re claiming or have applied for Carer’s Allowance. 

If your circumstances change

This includes if you get a job, take a break from caring for someone or stop being a Carer altogether. 

Breaks from caring

You can still get Carer’s Allowance if you take a break. A break is any time you spent less than 35 hours a week caring for the other person. You could for example get Carer’s Allowance for up to:

  • 12 weeks if either of you go into respite care or hospital
  • 4 weeks if either of you go on holiday

Take care if you claim online, check your answers very carefully and print the document before submitting the application. 

Contact details :   Carers allowance services            

NHS Carer’s Direct Helpline

You can call the Carer’s Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053 if you need help with your caring role and want to talk to someone about what options are available to you. 

More Information for Carers 

Carers UK provide information and support to carers by carers. They have a range of information leaflets and booklets available.  For a carers’ information pack send a large stamped addressed envelope to: 

Carers UK, 20 Great Dover Street, London SE1 4LX 

For advice, phone Carers Line on 0808 808 7777 or visit their website


Contact form

Telephone 0808 808 777

Universal Credit and Carers Allowance 

Universal Credit if you’re caring for someone

If you’re a carer for someone in your household who is severely disabled you may be able to get the ‘carer’s element’ as part of your monthly Universal Credit payment. 

Who gets it?

You should be caring for someone for at least 35 hours a week. You don’t have to be claiming Carer’s Allowance to get the carer’s element. 

Will it affect my other benefits?

If the person you’re caring for is also getting Universal Credit, it won’t affect their payment.  However, the benefits of the person you’re caring for can be affected if you get the carer’s element, and the person you’re caring for gets the severe disability premium 

What if there are two carers in one household?

If you and someone else in your household care for the same person, you can’t both get the carer’s element. You will have to decide between you who will claim it. 

What if you’re already getting Carer’s Allowance?

If you’re getting Carer’s Allowance you can continue to get it, if you continue to be eligible

The National Kidney Federation cannot accept responsibility for information provided. The above is for guidance only