You can only make a new claim for DLA if you are claiming for a child under 16 

The Government is making changes to the benefit system which came into force from 8 April 2013.  The Department of Work and Pensions will introduce a new benefit to help people with the extra cost of being disabled.  The new benefit is called Personal Independent Payment or “PIP” and by the end of 2016 PIP will have replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged between 16 and 64.  (See Section 3)

You may be able to make a new claim for DLA if you were 65 or over on 8th April, 2013 or you stopped getting DLA after the age of 65. 

Contact the numbers below for details : 

If you were born on or before 8th April 1948  -  Telephone: 0800 121 4600
If you were born after 8th April 1948 -  Telephone 0800 731 0122 

Disability Benefits Centre, 
Warbreck House,
Warbreck Hill,
FY2 0Y

What is Disability Living Allowance ?

Disability Living Allowance is a benefit that is paid to people with an illness or disability that, as a result, need help with either personal care and with getting around or help with both of these.

DLA comprises two components:-

Care Component -           For those people who need help with personal care. And if you need someone with you when you are on dialysis.                                                

Payable at one of three rates (high, middle or low). 

Mobility Component -    For those people who need help in getting around, both physically and mentally, both indoors and outdoors. 

Payable at one of two rates (high or low).

Weekly Rates as @ June 2018

Care Component

Lowest Rate


Middle Rate


High Rate


Mobility Component

Lower Rate


Higher Rate


Entitlement is based on the amount of help needed, not the actual amount of help received, so it is not affected by whether you live alone and there is no-one there to help or if you live with another person/people.  You can still get DLA even if you do not get the help, supervision or support that you actually need.

The middle rate of the care component (or higher rate of Attendance Allowance) is, in general, payable to those people who undergo haemodialysis or intermittent peritoneal dialysis at home at least twice each week.  When you apply you need to demonstrate that you normally require the attention or supervision of another person during the period of the dialysis or, because of your particular circumstances, you require another person there during dialysis to supervise you to ensure you avoid any danger or to help you with personal care.

Other patients may be awarded DLA if they meet the general disability criteria.

Some reasons for refusal

Some patients are refused benefit because they underestimate their disability on the application form.  Kidney failure causes problems for the rest of the body and, when completing the form, it is important to mention everything that affects your well-being.  Common symptoms of renal failure include:-

  • Itchy skin
  • Weakness or tiredness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Poor concentration
  • Restless legs
  • Leg cramps
  • Swollen ankles
  • Shortness of breath
  • Poor sleeping
  • Feeling cold 

People with an illness or disability learn to cope with tasks and sometimes avoid doing certain things.  When applying for DLA you should consider which tasks these might be and what help, support or supervision could be given to you, regardless of whether there is someone who could do this for you.

When you complete the application form, give the history of your renal failure and the periods of time you are on dialysis. 

Medical examinations

All new and existing claimants of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will be subject to a medical assessment by healthcare professionals who have completed specialised training in disability awareness.