Help and Info - Medical Information from the NKF
From Kidney Diseases to Transplantation
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Symptoms and Problems
- Kidney (and related) diseases
- How to cope with Established Renal Failure and making treatment choices
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Why home Dialysis?
- Bones, Calcium, Phosphate, and PTH in Kidney Failure
- Commonly prescribed drugs
- Side Effects of Steroids
- Prescription charges in the UK - can you get them for free?
Tests and Procedures
- Kidney Biopsy
- Kidney Transplant Biopsy
- Calculating Kidney Function (eGFR)
- Leaflet on Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate (eGFR) (PDF, 70Kb, 2 pages - Link to the Renal Association’s website)
- Dialysis Line (central venous catheter) Insertion for Haemodialysis
- Renal Information for Children and their families
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Facts and Figures for Kidney Patients
- Switching medicines – the Dangers
- Good Mouth Care in Established Renal Failure
- Staying Fit With Kidney Disease
- Factsheet: Potassium
- First Line Potassium Lowering Dietary Advice
- How is YOUR Renal Unit doing?
- Know your Numbers - DIALYSIS (Blood results, Blood Pressure, Dialysis Adequacy...)
- Know your Numbers - TRANSPLANT (Blood results, Blood Pressure...)
- What’s it really like? Patient Experiences
- Sex Problems with Renal Failure
- NHS Dental Treatment for Renal Patients
- Stem cells and kidney repair
- Chronic kidney disease — National clinical guideline for the early identification and management of adults in primary and secondary care (on Royal College of Physicians website)
- NHS leaflet — Identifying Unhealthy Kidneys: What Do I Need to Know About Proteinuria? (PDF, 2MB)
- NHS leaflet — Improving diagnosis and care for people with chronic kidney disease: A how-to guide for practices (PDF, 3.3MB)
- Information from NICE (Feb 06) on improving outcomes for people with Skin Tumours (on NICE website)
- CKD overview (on NICE Pathways website)
- End of Life Care for people with advanced kidney disease - article by Dr Joanna Chambers
The National Kidney Federation would like to thank Doctor Rob Higgins - Consultant Renal Physician at University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire who as NKF Website Medical Consultant has been largely responsible for the quality, scope and depth of the medical pages information. Doctor Higgins has been assisted (particularly in relationship to the CKD pages) by further contributions from Dr Charlie Thomson. Both Rob Higgins and Charlie Thomson undertake the regular reviews of the medical information displayed on this website.
The NKF would also like to thank Dr Andy Stein MRCP, Janet Wild RGN, and Class Publishing for permitting extracts of the book ‘Kidney Failure Explained’ - first published 1999 (now in its Third Edition, 2006), to be reproduced as part of this medical section and all the other contributors who have provided material for consideration and for use. These include:-
- Baxter Healthcare Ltd.
- Dr Rob Higgins FRCP, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire.
- Clare Morlidge - Renal Pharmacist, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire.
- Dr Charlie Tomson FRCP, North Bristol NHS Trust
- Professor Stephen Porter, Oral Medicine Unit, UCL Eastman Dental Institute
- Miss Fatimah Alsayer, Oral Medicine Unit, UCL Eastman Dental Institute
- Dr Andrew Stein, General Medicine and Nephrology clinic, Coventry and Warwickshire University Hospitals
- NKF Renal Literature
- NKF Executive and Medical Advisors
- Roche Products Ltd.
Contributors assert their rights as set out in sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the authors of sections of this work wherever it is published commercially and whenever any adaptation of this work is published or produced including any sound recordings or films based upon this work.