Kidney Failure Explained
Highly Commended in the Popular Medicine category at the 2011 BMA Book Awards
The discovery that you have kidney failure is traumatic and can deeply affect your life and the lives of those close to you. The treatment is lifelong and often intrusive, frequently including a bewildering array of options, treatments and drugs. Getting the right information at the right time is vital, and this book aims to provide just this.
This indispensable reference manual gives you, your family and friends the information you really need to know about managing your renal condition. Written by two experienced medical authors, this practical handbook covers every aspect of living with kidney disease - from diagnosis, drugs and treatment, to diet, relationships and sex. It also covers the emotional aspects of renal failure and its impact on family and friends.
- Contains up-to-date, medically accurate information from experts
- Discussion on different types of dialysis, so you can make an informed decision
- Information about transplants: how the waiting list works and what to do if you are offered a kidney from a friend or relative
- Tackles questions you may feel uneasy asking your doctor
Summary of contents:
- What is kidney failure?
- Toxin ‘clearance’
- Fluid balance
- Blood pressure
- Anaemia and Erythropoietin
- Renal Bone Disease
- Blood tests and other tests
- Dialysis- the basics
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Living donor transplantation
- The transplant operation and after
- Eating well
- Living with kidney failure
- Sexual problems and pregnancy
- End of life care
- Statistics and outcomes
- New developments and choice
“Kidney Failure Explained remains the most sought after reference for kidney patients. Since the first edition appeared in 1999 the National Kidney Federation has continued to recommend this book above all others. As the treatment for kidney disease advances, so this book has kept pace.”
Timothy F. Statham OBE, Chief Executive, National Kidney Federation
“This book is, without doubt, the best resource currently available for kidney patients and those who care for them.”
Val Said, kidney transplant patient
“Answers everything you always needed to know but were afraid to ask”
Austin Donohoe, Chairman of Kidney Alliance and Former Chairman of the NKF
About the authors
To Order, either:
- Send a cheque for £19.99 made payable to Class Health to:
Class Publishing (Priority Service), Freepost 16705, Macmillan Distribution, Basingstoke RG21 6ZZ. (No stamp required if posting within the UK).
- Telephone their Order Hotline 01256 302 699.
- Buy Online (via Class Website)