Fundraising, Donations and Volunteering - Leaving a legacy
Your life savings could give kidney patients a brighter future
Life is not easy for Kidney Patients or for those that care for Kidney Patients. The NKF supports both patients and carers in practical ways, offering help and guidance. We also campaign tirelessly for improvements in renal health care provision throughout the United Kingdom. Please support us so that we can support them.
Some of the most common ways of leaving a gift in your Will are:
- Pecuniary Legacy - A fixed sum of money
- Specific Legacy - A specific item of value, such as an item of property, a piece of jewellery or a painting.
- Residuary Legacy - The whole or a percentage of your estate after providing for loved ones and covering administrative expenses.
Easy steps to making or changing your will
- Draw up a list of your assets.
- Decide who you would like to receive a gift in your Will and what you would like them to receive.
- Decide who you would like to be your executors and arrange a meeting with your solicitor.
- Keep your Will safe and tell a family member where it is.
If you have already written your Will but would like to add a gift to the National kidney federation – what do I need to do?
Your solicitor or legal advisor will draw up a codicil for you – this is a simple amendment to a Will. This shouldn’t be expensive but we recommend that you consult a solicitor or legal advisor to ensure that the document is worded correctly and legally binding.
Do I need a solicitor?
A will is a legal document, so it is best to get the advice of a solicitor to make your instructions legally valid. To find a solicitor, you can look in the Solicitors Regional Directory which is available in your local library. The Law Society has a website at www.solicitors-online.com and you can get more information about finding a Solicitor or on making a will there.
The NKF Helpline on (0845) 601 02 09 can also give you advice on how to include the NKF in your will.
I don’t have very much to leave
You may be surprised how the value of your home and possessions can add up — A legacy does not have to be a large sum of money — any gift left in a Will to The National Kidney Federation would be extremely important to our work.
What about Inheritance Tax?
Leaving a gift to a charity such as a National Kidney Federation can lower the Inheritance Tax payable on your estate. Your solicitor can answer any questions you have about Inheritance Tax.
Advice from the NKF
The NKF Helpline on 0800 169 09 36 can also give you advice on how to include the NKF in your will. We have also prepared a leaflet on leaving a legacy to the NKF. Click on the image to download a copy